Sunday, January 27, 2013

A Productive Lull

The past two weeks have probably been the least two enticing weeks in the past three years.

However, I did have 3 wins in the past two weeks which also happened to be my first wins in over a year. I needed them.

Since I began this trip to Sochi 2014, it has always been an upward trend for me starting at the low of the low end. When I started this journey, seriously 4 years ago, I was placing outside the Top-10 at SuperTour Races and was just breaking into the Top-20 at National Championships. Three years ago I was in the Top-10. Two years ago, finally breaking into the Top-10 at Nationals and breaking onto the podium on SuperTours. Continuing to train hard and smart, I got my first podium at National Championships and then got a World Cup birth last year. Wanting to continue this upward trend, I wanted to improve a personal best, 43rd, on the World Cup to a Top-30 this season.

Not even close.

How about Nationals? I wanted to win a race and podium on a couple others.

Not even close. Well, kind of.

It was hard for me, but at the same time it was a healthy dose of positive reflection on a season that hadn't gone to "plan." By plan, I think it is what I wanted to expect from myself but didn't know if I could realistically produce. I let it get to me. 

After Nationals, I had to look at what made me excel and what was lacking in my physical and psychological output.

What I realized was that I wasn't having fun. Sure on the road I get to go to sweet places and hang out with some awesome people, but I wasn't entering races as I normally do. I had put a pressure on myself that I was unfamiliar with.

With a lull in the season I have had the past two weeks to be home and enter races that would be hard to put too much pressure on myself to do well. I entered the past three races, post-Nationals, with a calm before the races. I calm confidence that I hadn't had since last March.

It felt good. And it is back.

I am really excited for the rest of my season. I will be going to some races I got to compete in 2 years ago that really set me up well for my past season. Excited to see how things go. As for now, some pictures and a video.


Front of the local newspaper

Striding in Vail on the home course

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

My wife, Sarah, and I


0 comments: