Sunday, January 12, 2014

A National Title

Some people have 17. Some people don't ever think they'll get one. For some people like me, they hope that their work over the past ten years will finally boil to down to one of these.  


A National Championship.



For the first time in my life, I was able to call myself a National Champion and I couldn't have been happier. I was humbled by the men I was competing against. Of course it was none other than my ITA teammate, Brian Gregg, chasing me down to the final stretch. It was fun and most important to me, it was an exciting fun race to watch.

I was blessed to have over 30 people come watch me on the courses in Soldier Hollow, Utah. It was so fun to share the experience with everyone who has believed in me for so long.

Now we play the waiting game. We play the game of who get to go to the Olympics. It's crazy to me that we don't know how it works. We kind of do, but not really. I won't even try to explain.

The next time, I'll be writing as an overjoyed Sochi-bound Olympian or Nordic athlete that is continuing to love the dream one day at a time.

One thing I've learned on this journey is that we, as athletes, always have to remember why we participate in our respective sports. For me, it's because I love it and it makes me happy. It's not a means to an end. It's what makes me wake up each morning!




0 comments: