Sunday, December 2, 2012

The First World Cups

We have just finished the first two weeks of World Cup racing in Sweden and Finland. For most of the time we have been above the Arctic Circle, but it hasn't been as cold as you might think it could be. Both locations we have skied at in Gallivare, Sweden and Kuusamo, Finland haven't gotten below 0, but it has been close.

My results here I think are not very exemplary of my best skiing. Whether it is the pressure I have put on myself to ski well or whether my fitness truly isn't where I want it to be, I am not skiing as fast as I would like to. Not to mention I froze my toe today, so its as tender as a well-cooked pork loin. Starting to turn some colors = not good.

We now head to Quebec for some sprints next to parliament and then to Canmore for the last World Cups of Period 1. In order to get back to the World Cup I will have to race my way through the season gaining points on our national circuit. I am looking forward to racing again in the US. I have been feeling a little out of whack over here.

National Team members Andy Newell and Skylar Davis. I'm the meat of the sammy.

Turns out I made the cover of BNS Magazine. Cool.

Starting the first race of the season.

Andy, me, and Simi supporting Movember efforts.

Simi and I were prime media workers. The US ladies were a historic 3rd place in the team relay.

We got to go to a school in Muonio, Finland and talk with the local kids about being ski racers. It was a great experience and I got to sign some cards, hats, and foreheads...

 

0 comments: