Sunday, June 30, 2013

Balancing

My time back in Colorado has been great so far. While its always nice to be away focusing on just training, there is always something refreshing about being home and continuing my life of juggling training, work, and social events.


I was on the topic of what makes us tick as athletes on a run 2 days ago. For some athletes, its breakfast | training | lunch | nap | training | dinner | bed and for other athletes it is a mix of that and other things such as social events and work obligations. I have found in my relatively short amount of time as a nordic ski racer that I operate much better when I have things to do outside of nordic skiing. 

I may be criticized sometimes for "being too social" of a professional skier, but when it all comes down to it, what will end up making me successful is working with what makes me tick and enjoying what I am doing. For me, mental health is just as important as physical health and if I am not happy, I don't train well, sleep well, or eat that well. What keeps me ticking is living life and taking advantage of opportunities that are thrown at me. If I start saying no to too many of these things I start getting anxious. Its just how I am. I love being with friends, family, and people that are positive all the way around. 

Then, there is the other side I love just as much. That is the side that has defined me for the past 10 years of my life: a hard working, dedicated athlete that loves to succeed and take bigger steps towards bigger and better things.

The Balance: there needs to be a balance between all of the things I have in my life. For me that is: Sarah, my family, my friends, skiing, and work (not necessarily in that order). I would argue that some of my better years as a nordic skier have been where I go from training to work to eating to work to train and then out to celebrate a friend's birthday, but I do know that there are positive effects of resting the body between workouts and getting more sleep. It helps the bosy in the long runs and results in more effective training days. More effective training days equals more success and going bigger and getting better. I AM INTO THAT.

This year I am making a conscious effort to balance my life more effectively. I have had to say no to more things than I have ever had to in the past and it kills me to say no to my best friend's bachelor party or to an awesome week long rafting trip. 

But this year is the one I have been waiting for. The one that I have been working towards my entire life. The pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. 

I haven't lost keeping that mental heath of mine. I still see friends and have a good time at communal gatherings, going to 4th of July parties, or going camping with Sarah. I just know that I have the most amazing support group in the world that will be there this entire year with their hand on my back going, "Go for it man! We're right with you all the way!"

Thank all of you for helping me out with this adventure. It is going to be an awesome year and I can't wait to keep you updated the whole way.

Hope you're all well!

Best,
Sylvan  

0 comments: